Miami Herald Spelling Bee
Celebrating its 79th anniversary, the Miami Herald Spelling Bee offers the opportunity for South Florida schools to participate in the Scripps National Spelling Bee program.
The champion of the 79th Annual Miami Herald Spelling Bee will represent their county in the 2019 Scripps National Spelling Bee near Washington, D.C. There will be one winner from Miami-Dade/Monroe and one winner from Broward County.
In order for students to participate in the Miami Herald Spelling Bee program, their school must enroll with the Scripps National Spelling Bee by October 15, 2018; and register its school champion(s) upon completion of the school Spelling Bee competition.
The Miami Herald underwrites a portion of each school's enrollment fee. Enrollment with the Scripps National Spelling Bee also serves as your registration with the Miami Herald.
Merriam-Webster is a proud sponsor and prize donor of the Miami Herald Spelling Bee.
The 79th Annual Miami Herald Spelling Bee dates are as follows:
- Miami-Dade & Monroe County Regional Spelling Bee
Tuesday, February 19, 2019
University of Miami Donna E. Shalala Student Center
1330 Miller Dr.
Miami, FL 33146
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Broward County Regional Spelling Bee
Wednesday, March 6, 2019
Charles F. Dodge City Center Pembroke Pines
601 City Center Way
Pembroke Pines, FL 33025
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- 1st Place: Vasundara Govindarajan - Frank C. Martin International K-8 Center
- 2nd Place: Sabrina Soto - Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart
- 3rd Place: Hudson Kaplan - Alexander Montessori School
2018 Broward County Winners
- 1st Place: Simone Kaplan - St. Bonaventure School
- 2nd Place: Kierra Pulido - Dolphin Bay Elementary
- 3rd Place: Kennedy Lee - H.E.A.R.T.S.
General info, please contact:
- Click here for advertising and sponsorship information