Drivers on State Roads 826 and 836 should expect closures and detours this week as work continues to open new permanent ramps to Southwest Eighth Street.
The ramps are set to open Saturday morning for drivers headed south on 826 and in either direction on 836. Drivers who want to get off on Eighth Street will have to use the current West Flagler Street exit ramps. Drivers will no longer be able to exit directly onto Eighth Street after Saturday. The work won’t affect northbound 826 drivers.
“They’re going to have to exit approximately three-quarters of a mile earlier than they’re used to,” said Oscar González, the project’s spokesman.
Starting Monday night several lanes are set to be closed:
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ The Northwest 72nd Avenue/Milam Dairy Road, West Flagler Street and Northwest 87th Avenue/Northwest 12th Street exits on westbound 836 will be closed from 10 p.m. Monday until 5 a.m. Tuesday. Drivers can get to the 72nd Avenue and Flagler Street exits by going north on 826 and exiting at Northwest 25th Street, turning east onto 25th Street then going south on 72nd Avenue. To get to 87th Avenue, take the same exit; after turning south onto 72nd Avenue, go to 12th Street and head west toward 87th Avenue.
▪ The southbound lanes of 826 will be closed south of the 25th Street exit from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday and Tuesday nights. Drivers should get off at 12th Street/72nd Avenue, follow signs to the Flagler Street/826 turn-around ramp and exit at that ramp.
▪ From Wednesday until Friday, also from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., southbound 826 will close at 25th Street. Drivers who want to continue south on 826 should exit at 25th Street, head west to 87th Avenue, then head south on that road, turn east to Eighth Street and then access the 826 ramp. To head east on 836, drivers should exit at 25th Street, head east toward 72nd Avenue, then go southbound on 72nd Avenue toward the 836 entrance ramp. To travel west on 836, take the 25th Street exit, head west to 87th Avenue, travel south on that road toward 12th Street and use that to enter 836.
▪ During that same phase of construction, the 25th Street ramp to southbound 826 will be closed. Eastbound drivers will have to continue east on the street, head south on 72nd Avenue, turn right onto Tamiami Canal Road toward Eighth Street, then west onto 826. Drivers headed west on 25th Street should drive to 87th Avenue, head south, then travel east on Eighth Street to 826.
▪ Eastbound 836 travelers on Thursday night between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. will not have access to the 72nd Avenue and Flagler Street exits. To get to 72nd Avenue take the 57th Avenue exit, then head west on Seventh Street to 72nd Avenue. For Flagler Street, take the same exit and head south toward Flagler.
▪ On Friday night, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., the westbound 836 bridge to southbound 826 will close. Drivers will have to go north on 826, exit at 25th Street, then head east to 72nd Avenue. After that drivers should turn right onto Tamiami Canal Road toward Eighth Street, then head west on Eighth Street to get to 826.
▪ Also on Friday night, the eastbound 836 ramp to 826 will close. To access northbound 826, drivers should get off 836 at 72nd Avenue, head north, then use 11th Street to get onto the expressway. For southbound access, exit 836 then head south on 72nd Avenue, turn right on Tamiami Canal Road toward Eighth Street and use that street to get onto 826.
▪ The Flagler Street ramp to southbound 826 will also close on Friday night. Drivers headed west on Flagler Street should drive to 87th Avenue and take that road south to Eighth Street to reach the expressway. Eastbound drivers should continue east to 72nd Avenue, turn right on Tamiami Canal Road toward Eighth Street and use that street to get onto 826.
González said signs will be in place to help guide drivers through the detours and closures.