Haiti

Mayorkas says Haitian gangs ‘targeted’ American personnel, prompting evacuation order

In July 2023, scores of Haitians living in the Clercine neighborhood near the U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince sought refuge from escalating gang violence by camping out in the courtyard of the facility.
In July 2023, scores of Haitians living in the Clercine neighborhood near the U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince sought refuge from escalating gang violence by camping out in the courtyard of the facility. For the Miami Herald

Armed groups in Haiti were targeting Americans in Port-au-Prince before the U.S. State Department ordered the families of American diplomats and non-essential personnel to leave the country in July, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said Monday.

Mayorkas described the targeted threat against Americans there to justify why DHS continues to deport Haitian nationals back to the country, despite State Department warning against travel to Haiti.

“The threat to Americans in Haiti was quite targeted,” Mayorkas said, asked by McClatchy at a small gathering of reporters why it was safe for Haitian nationals to return.

“The embassy — there was a particular interest on the part of gangs there to control transit, means of transit, and that is quite distinct from an overall inability of individuals to be returned to Haiti,” he added.

A U.S. travel warning for Haiti issued on July 27 laid out the order for American personnel and their families, and said that U.S. officials remaining in the country could not use “any kind of public transportation or taxis,” leave the embassy compound without prior approval, travel anywhere between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. or drive at night.

Then on Aug. 30 as neighborhoods near the U.S. embassy compounds in the Tabarre suburb of the Haitian capital came under increased gunfire from gangs, U.S. citizens were urged, once more, to depart Haiti “as soon as possible.” The next day, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement charter flight arrived in Port-au-Prince with 66 Haitian nationals who had been deported back to the country.

The deportation immediately drew criticism from Haitian and immigration rights groups. In a statement, Guerline Jozef, co-founder and executive director of the Haitian Bridge Alliance in the U.S., called the move “outrageous.”

“This act puts lives in danger and is a clear human-rights violation, and if allowed to continue, it will go into the history books as a crime against humanity. We urgently call upon President Biden, Vice President Harris, Secretary Mayorkas, and the entire administration to cease all deportations to Haiti,” she said. “We also call on Congress to step up and demand that the administration stop all deportation flights to Haiti because it is a travesty, undermines international law, and unconscionably puts lives in immediate danger.”

Michael Wilner
McClatchy DC
Michael Wilner is an award-winning journalist and was McClatchy’s chief Washington correspondent. Wilner joined the company in 2019 as a White House correspondent, and led coverage for its 30 newspapers of the federal response to the coronavirus pandemic, the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, and the Biden administration. Wilner was previously Washington bureau chief for The Jerusalem Post. He holds degrees from Claremont McKenna College and Columbia University and is a native of New York City.
Jacqueline Charles
Miami Herald
Jacqueline Charles has reported on Haiti and the English-speaking Caribbean for the Miami Herald for over a decade. A Pulitzer Prize finalist for her coverage of the 2010 Haiti earthquake, she was awarded a 2018 Maria Moors Cabot Prize — the most prestigious award for coverage of the Americas.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER