An Algerian man is seeking compensation from the U.S. government for the nearly 12 years he was held without charge as prisoner at the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Djamel Ameziane, 48, submitted a claim Wednesday with the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights for reparations and compensation.
The claim argues that Ameziane suffered physical and psychological abuse in custody and has been unable to work since the U.S. military returned him to Algeria December 2013 because of the stigma of being held at Guantánamo. U.S. courts have rejected such claims in the past.
Attorney Wells Dixon says Ameziane should at least get back several thousand dollars taken from him when he was captured in Afghanistan in 2001. He argued that case in a U.S. federal court, and lost last year.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
The U.S. says prisoners at Guantánamo were legally detained and are not entitled to compensation under international law.