Cuba

Florida Keys sheriff urges calm following report Cuban drones could hit Key West

Cuban defense minister, Gen. Álvaro López Miera (right) and Cuba’s leader, Miguel Díaz-Canel, during the burial in Havana of 4 of the 32 Cubans bodyguards killed during the U.S. military attack to capture Venezuela’s Nicolás Maduro. Raúl Guillermo Rodríguez Castro, Raúl Castro’s grandson, is behind them.
Cuban defense minister, Gen. Álvaro López Miera (right) and Cuba’s leader, Miguel Díaz-Canel, during the burial in Havana of 4 of the 32 Cubans bodyguards killed during the U.S. military attack to capture Venezuela’s Nicolás Maduro. Raúl Guillermo Rodríguez Castro, Raúl Castro’s grandson, is behind them.

It’s just another day in paradise for the sheriff in the Florida Keys.

Despite a report about Cuba discussing plans to use drones to attack U.S. targets, including Key West, Sheriff Rick Ramsey says he wasn’t told a thing — and urged calm among Keys people who are usually pretty calm about all sorts of things.

Axios reported Sunday that Cuba has acquired 300 military drones and could use them to target Guantanamo Bay, U.S. military ships and the Southernmost City, just 90 miles away. Axios reported that U.S. officials don’t believe there is any imminent threat, and that Cuba isn’t capable of closing the Florida Straits with drones like Iran has with the Strait of Hormuz.

But, U.S. officials are keeping an eye on the situation given Cuba’s proximity to Florida and because thousands of Cuban veterans of Russia’s war with Ukraine have come home to tell their leaders of the effectiveness of drones on the battlefield.

U.S. officials have learned more about Cuba’s drone program from Venezuela since removing Nicolás Maduro from power earlier this year, Axios reported. Venezuela was a close ally to the Castro regime, but has since normalized relations with the U.S. following the Jan. 3 operation to arrest Maduro, in which 32 Cuban bodyguards were killed.

Sheriff Ramsay was quick to issue a statement saying he has not been contacted by federal or state authorities regarding the reported development, and that Keys residents and tourists have no reason to be alarmed.

He added that he has not ordered any of his deputies to change their routine as a result of the reported threat.

“I am monitoring the situation, but I have not been contacted by any government agency and I don’t believe there is any reason to be concerned,” Ramsay said. “I am confident I will be notified if anything does change and I will alert the public.”

A spokesperson for the city of Key West said the city hasn’t issued a statement on the issue.

David Goodhue
Miami Herald
David Goodhue covers the Florida Keys and South Florida for FLKeysNews.com and the Miami Herald. Before joining the Herald, he covered Congress, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy in Washington, D.C. He is a graduate of the University of Delaware. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER