15-year-old goes missing at school and is fatally hit by car, New York cops say
Police in New York are investigating after they say a teen went missing from school and was fatally hit by a car, news outlets report.
Around 1:15 p.m. Sept. 4, police were called for a report of a pedestrian hit by a vehicle on Long Island, according to a news release from the New York State Police.
The 15-year-old boy, later identified as Christopher Williams, was attending Martin De Porres School for Exceptional Children when he went missing, News 12 Long Island reported.
Family said in a GoFundMe that the teen had autism.
Williams’ family daily told WCBS he was left unsupervised before walking out the school.
“On what should have been a normal school day, our world was shattered forever,” the GoFundMe page said. “Instead of ensuring his safety, the school called my mom asking where he was—unaware that he was already gone. A short time later, a detective called her to identify his body. He had been struck by a car and killed.”
Williams was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.
Martin De Porres School released a statement to WCBS saying that it is conducting a review of its policies and procedures and that the community “is heartbroken at the loss of one of our students, and our entire community is grieving today. We extend our deepest condolences to the student’s family, friends, and loved ones.”