3-year-old dies after being struck by stray bullet during fireworks, DC cops say
UPDATE: The suspected shooter was arrested Friday, July 11, the Metropolitan Police Department said in a news release. Charles Rucker, 24, has been charged with first-degree murder while armed, according to police.
“To Honesty’s family, we know today’s news does not make you whole again, but we do hope that this arrest brings some measure of comfort as you grieve this inconceivable loss,” police said.
The original story is below.
A 3-year-old girl died after being struck by a stray bullet during a firework show, D.C. police said.
Now, police are looking for a 24-year-old suspect on a warrant for first-degree murder, according to a July 9 Metropolitan Police Department news release.
Officers responded to the shooting at about 3 a.m. July 5 where they found the toddler, identified as Honesty Cheadle, with a “gunshot wound to the upper body,” police said.
Honesty had been watching fireworks in a parked car with other family members, according to police.
She was taken to a hospital but died from her injuries two days later, police said.
“This is a tragedy for Honesty’s family and our entire city, and I express my deepest condolences to her loved ones as they cope with such an unimaginable loss,” said Chief of Police Pamela A. Smith in a July 7 news release.
Raymond Cheadle, Honesty’s great-uncle, told WUSA the family, including the girl’s dad, is heartbroken.
“That baby was his world,” he said. “It’s just sad y’all took that from them, from us.”
Honesty was remembered as “full of light, personality, and so much promise,” in an online fundraiser started by her aunt.
A reward of up to $50,000 is being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspect, police said.
This story was originally published July 11, 2025 at 1:05 PM.