Country music star Toby Keith says he has stomach cancer. ‘Praying for you’
Country music star Toby Keith said Sunday, June 12, that he has stomach cancer.
He said in a statement posted on Twitter that he was diagnosed last fall and has undergone chemotherapy, radiation treatment and surgery.
“So far, so good,” he wrote. “I need time to breathe, recover and relax.”
Keith said he is “looking forward to spending this time” with his family.
“But I will see the fans sooner or later,” he wrote. “I can’t wait.”
The 60-year-old artist released his debut album, “Toby Keith,” in 1993, according to IMDb. It contained his first chart-topping song, “Should’ve Been A Cowboy.” He’s since had “42 top 10 hits, 32 No. 1s, 40 million albums sold and more than 10 billion streams,” his website says.
Keith, who was born Clinton, Oklahoma, was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2021, according to CMT News.
He started the Toby Keith Foundation, which provides support to children with cancer, in 2006, the foundation’s website says. . In 2014, the foundation opened OK Kids Korral, which provides free housing to the families of children receiving cancer treatment in Oklahoma City.
Fans and friends posted support for Keith on June 12.
“Praying for you, @TobyKeith,” one person wrote on Twitter.
“Wishing my big buddy a speedy recovery and a whole lotta love,” artist Sammy Hagar tweeted.
“No stronger spirit, bigger fighter, tougher dude greater guy than Big T! Prayers and #Sooners Magic have you surrounded,” Joe Castiglione, director of athletics at the University of Oklahoma, tweeted.
“Sending best wishes for a full and complete recovery, sir,” another person tweeted.
This story was originally published June 12, 2022 at 2:05 PM.