If you were issued a U.S. work permit in the past 2 months, you may have to give it back

An Employment Authorization Document, also known as a U.S. work permit.
An Employment Authorization Document, also known as a U.S. work permit. USCIS

If you were issued a U.S. work permit, officially an Employment Authorization Document or EAD, in the past two months, you may be asked to give it back.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced Thursday it was recalling about 800 EAD documents.

A USCIS statement said the documents contained a production error, as the first and last names of the card holders were transposed.

The misprinted cards were issued mostly to people who applied for work permits as part of a petition for political asylum, using form I-589, and received the cards in April and May.

USCIS said it would notify the people affected or their lawyers to return the EAD cards in prepaid envelopes within 20 days.

The people affected will receive replacement cards within 15 days.

"The recall does not affect this individuals' employment authorization," the USCIS announcement noted, adding that for those who have already obtained political asylum, the I-94 form is sufficient evidence of a permission to work.

The recall is its second in six weeks.

The agency announced the recall of 8,543 permanent residence cards, or "green cards," in mid-May because they showed incorrect dates.

Anyone needing urgent proof of their permission to work can contact the USCIS customer service at 800-375-5283, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Bob Weimer, owner of Weimer Farms, speaks about the possible passing of Assembly Bill 20 which would provide work permits for undocumented agricultural workers in Atwater, Calif., Thursday, July 16, 2015.

Follow Johanna A. Álvarez on Twitter: @jalvarez8