Education

Miami Dade College’s medical campus closed after visit from Brazilian with coronavirus

Note: The Herald and McClatchy news sites have lifted the paywall on our websites for this developing story, providing critical information to readers. To support vital reporting such as this, please consider a digital subscription.

Miami Dade College announced Thursday that it is shutting down its medical campus, located at 950 NW 20th St., after it was announced that a Brazilian official who recently visited the campus tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

A college spokesman confirmed that Fabio Wajngarten, who serves as the press secretary for Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, was part of the team that met with members of the Brazilian community there Monday evening. The Brazilian contingent also met with President Donald Trump at Mar-a-Lago.

Spokesman Juan Mendieta said the gathering was an outside event where the college’s facility was rented out. He said the college is in touch with the vendor.

All events have been canceled college-wide at Miami Dade College. Classes at other campuses continue.

MDC, with one of the largest undergraduate enrollments in the country, made it clear in a statement Wednesday that state colleges are not included in the State University System of Florida’s directive to transition all classes to online platforms. The college is currently surveying students on their internet connectivity outside of campus.

“The survey is simply part of our preparations and due diligence should we receive a directive as a state college to switch to an alternative instructional method, including online,” said Mendieta, who added that the college is surveying faculty, too.

The college announced Tuesday that all domestic and international travel for students and employees has been suspended.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

This story was originally published March 12, 2020 at 4:10 PM.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Coronavirus Impact in Florida

CW
Colleen Wright
Miami Herald
Colleen Wright returned to the Miami Herald in May 2018 to cover all things education, including Miami-Dade and Broward schools, colleges and universities. The Herald was her first internship before she left her hometown of South Miami to earn a journalism degree from the University of Florida. She previously covered education for the Tampa Bay Times.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER