Three children and two adults were taken to area hospitals from Carol City Elementary School Wednesday afternoon after fire rescue units answered a call “possibly related to carbon monoxide,” Miami-Dade Fire Rescue said.
Miami-Dade Public Schools spokesperson Daisy Gonzalez-Diego said via e-mail the alarm on the carbon monoxide detector, which each school has, went off and the problem is being investigated.
While two units took the patients to two different local hospitals, a Miami-Dade Fire Rescue unit measuring the carbon monoxide level remained at the school, 4375 NW 173rd Dr., two hours after the 1:30 p.m. call.
School wasn’t in Wednesday in observance of Yom Kippur, although it’s on the Miami-Dade County Public Schools calendar officially as a Teacher Planning Day. Gonzalez-Diego said the adults were school employees who brought their children to work.