Crime

Man is jailed six months after fatal shooting at North Miami Beach park: MDSO

Kevin Jay Kertes, 29, who reported a shooting at Greynolds Park in July 2025, is now charged with second-degree murder
Kevin Jay Kertes, 29, who reported a shooting at Greynolds Park in July 2025, is now charged with second-degree murder Miami Herald File

A man called 911 to report a fatal shooting at Greynolds Park in North Miami Beach in July of last year. Six months later, detectives pointed at him as the man responsible for the killing — handcuffing and charging him with second-degree murder, authorities said.

Kevin Jay Kertes, 29, is accused of shooting 32-year-old Patricio Exequiel Vinaveya once in the back in a “heavily wooded area” of the park at 17530 West Dixie Highway, according to his arrest affidavit.

Kertes stayed at the scene and called 911. He was taken to the Miami-Dade Sheriff’s Office, where he allegedly confessed to being involved in the death. Exactly what he told deputies was redacted from his arrest affidavit.

A motive for the shooting or why it took months for Kertes to be arrested was absent from the report.

He was arrested Tuesday at his Sunny Isles Beach apartment.

Kertes remains jailed with no bond as of Wednesday. Information on his attorney and arraignment was not immediately available on the Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts site.

MM
Milena Malaver
Miami Herald
Milena Malaver covers crime and breaking news for the Miami Herald. She was born and raised in Miami-Dade and is a graduate of Florida International University. She joined the Herald shortly after graduating.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER