Miami Beach police pursuit ends with one in custody and one possibly dead in the water
An attempted traffic stop turned into a short police pursuit that ended in the yard of a Venetian Causeway house and, it appears, in death, according to Miami Beach police.
A man’s body pulled out of Biscayne Bay by 9:30 a.m. Tuesday matches the description of the man who jumped into the bay, Miami Beach police Public Information Officer Ernesto Rodriguez said. Official identification hasn’t been made yet, however.
Rodriguez said the episode began at 2:15 a.m.
Officers patrolling during the curfew saw a car that, Rodriguez said, they “believed to be canvassing residential homes on the Venetian Causeway.”
When they tried to stop the car, the driver took off on the causeway. The two men inside bailed out near Dilido Island, leaving behind a car that Rodriguez said had been stolen earlier in Miami Beach.
A K9 unit helped find the man who stayed on land in the yard of a house, Rodriguez said. The other man ran and dove into Biscayne Bay.
This story was originally published April 21, 2020 at 11:29 AM.