A small kitchen fire broke out at the StripSteak restaurant in the Fontainebleau hotel in Miami Beach on Saturday night, prompting firefighters to briefly evacuate the kitchen before putting out flames in the exhaust system. No guests or employees were hurt, authorities said.
Fire department spokesman Capt. George Linares said firefighters and police officers responded to a call reporting a fire in the kitchen of the restaurant, which is in the lobby of the Collins Avenue hotel, around 6:40 p.m.
“Apparently smoke was coming out of the oven, and the exhaust [system] was behind it,” he said. The oven continued releasing smoke after the fire inside was extinguished, so firefighters went up to the fourth floor where the exhaust system extends to put out the remaining fire in the piping, he said.
It took about 35 minutes to extinguish the flames, which were likely fed by a buildup of grease or carbon, he said.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Some kitchen workers were evacuated from the cooking area, though the restaurant itself was not, he said.
Part of northbound traffic on Collins Avenue was briefly closed as police officers and firefighters responded to the hotel. The city tweeted that drivers should avoid the area.