The night before its grand opening, the 1 Hotel South Beach was evacuated due to a “small contained electrical fire” in a restaurant kitchen.
According to a hotel spokesman, the fire was caused by a malfunction with a piece of kitchen equipment. Guests, workers and residents of the condo portion of the building were ushered outside according to the property’s fire procedures. The hotel fills the block from 23rd to 24th streets east of Collins Avenue.
Miami Beach Fire Rescue arrived “within minutes,” the spokesman said, and alarm systems worked as intended.
“All was resolved quickly and safely,” the spokesman wrote in an email. Everyone remained out of the building from 7-11:30 p.m.; no one was injured.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
There was damage to a small area on the north side of the facility, which employees are still assessing, but the spokesman said the hotel is fully functional.
Grand opening festivities are scheduled to proceed as planned, starting at 11:30 Wednesday morning. Hotel executives, developers, celebrity chef Tom Colicchio, Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine and others are scheduled to attend.
A media alert says the ceremonies will include the unveiling of a coral stone sculpture, the release of butterflies and a sage burning “to cleanse the iconic property for many more years of success.”