Man who disappeared during a boat trip with friends could be dead, Miami-Dade cops say
A 51-year-old man who vanished late last month after he went on a boat trip with friends might be dead and Miami-Dade police announced Wednesday they need help finding him.
Harvin Woods set sail from Homestead Bayfront Park, 9698 SW 328th St., to a sandbar near Elliott Key in Biscayne Bay on Saturday, March 25, and was reported missing the next morning, Miami-Dade Police detective Jerrad Ferguson said on Twitter. Shortly before he disappeared, he was seen trying to dislodge a boat from the sandbar around 10 p.m.
Due to how long Woods has been missing, Ferguson said he might be dead.
“Initially it was reported as a missing person,” he said. “We stepped in and we are looking at a possible death investigation.”
Ferguson said that boaters who were in the area of the sandbar the night of March 25 may have information that could help authorities find Woods.
“We are trying to locate all the individuals who were on those boats, hoping they can come forward and give us any information they may have,” he said.
According to Ferguson, Woods had multiple children and grandchildren.
“No family wants to sit and wonder where their member is,” he said.
Anyone with information about the whereabouts of Harvin Woods is encouraged to call Miami-Dade Police Department Det. Jerrad Ferguson at 305-471-2400. To submit an anonymous tip, call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-8477 or visit crimestoppers305.com.
This story was originally published April 5, 2023 at 2:57 PM.