An 11-month-old girl died Monday after she was left inside her parents’ car in Hialeah, police said.
It is not clear how long she was in the car, but police say it may have been for a few hours. While she sat in the car unattended, the temperature outside climbed to about 88 degrees.
Police received a report at about 4 p.m. that there was a baby inside a car at 3517 West 86th Terr. The home is inside a gated community called Aragon.
The little girl was taken to Palmetto General Hospital where she was pronounced dead. As of Monday night, police had not released the name of the baby or the names of her parents.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
This is the eighth hyperthermia death in the United States this year, according to the Department of Meteorology and Climate Science at San José State University, which tracks such deaths. This is the first death of this nature so far this year in Florida; there were four in Florida last year, according to the university’s data.
In July 2015, an 11-month boy named Nico Weaver died after being left in a car. Nico’s family was running errands when he was left inside a hot SUV, the Sun Sentinel reported at the time.