Edison - Liberty City

Hazmat situation at Jessie Trice sends 7 to the hospital

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue responded to a Hazmat situation at Jessie Trice Community Health Center near Northwest 53rd Street and 22nd Avenue Thursday. Seven people were hospitalized after they were exposed to Phenol.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue responded to a Hazmat situation at Jessie Trice Community Health Center near Northwest 53rd Street and 22nd Avenue Thursday. Seven people were hospitalized after they were exposed to Phenol. Miami-Dade Fire Rescue

Seven people were hospitalized Thursday after they were exposed to a strong disinfectant used in a podiatry office when two small glass containers shattered at a community health center in Northwest Miami-Dade.

Employees of the Jessie Trice Community Health Center near Northwest 53rd Street and 22nd Avenue were moving things around when the bottles broke, according to Miami-Dade Fire Lt. Troy Maness.

One employee had direct exposure to the solution call Phenol, while six others suffered from inhalation exposure.

Miami-Dade Fire Chief Gary Fregeolle said all seven were taken to the hospital.

“It's a stronger solution that I have heard is for cleaning, disinfecting, some times used for surgical procedures,” he said.

Maness said all of the people transported were employees of the center.

“As always we would like to make certain that our patients, as well as our staff, are safe so those individuals went to the ER as a precautionary measure,” Deborah George, chief clinical officer for the center, told Miami Herald news partner CBS4.

More than 100 people were evacuated from the building, which will now have to be cleaned, said Maness.

  Comments