Three-hour SWAT team standoff in Doral apartment near CityPlace ends in arrest

A three-hour SWAT standoff with an armed man in a sixth-floor apartment near Doral’s popular CityPlace retail center ended Monday night with no injuries and one arrest.

Doral officers arrested 34-year-old Sergio Armando Van Kanten on three counts of attempted murder of a law enforcement officer, one count of using a firearm during the commission of a felony and one count of discharging a firearm in public.

The incident began about 8:15 p.m. when police responded to a burglary call on the sixth floor at Manor CityPlace Doral, 8450 NW 33rd St., a large apartment complex across the street from CityPlace. Doral police said early Tuesday morning that Van Kanten made the 911 call and claimed six men had broken into his apartment.

They heard what sounded like voices arguing, followed by two gunshots, Doral police spokesman Rey Valdes said Monday night.

Police say they then kicked in the apartment door, only to be greeted with bullets fired toward the doorway. They took what they called “perimeter positions,” evacuated the sixth floor and closed down Northwest 33rd Street, which runs behind Manor CityPlace and Oasis Park Square Doral condominiums and adjacent to Carnival Cruise Lines The two apartment complexes are between Northwest 33rd Street and CityPlace.

Doral police called for backup from the Miami-Dade police SWAT team and, after 11 pm., arrested Van Kanten without further gunfire. They say they saw no evidence of a burglary.

Doral police say Van Kanten admitted firing a shotgun toward the door that cops broke down.

An initial search found no gunshot victims, Valdes said. About 15 to 20 people who were on the sixth floor were escorted out of the building. It was not clear if there were any injuries stemming from the incident.

“We were on the balcony on the sixth floor like around 6:30 or 7 and there was some shooting,” said Carol Ramos, who said she was escorted out of her sixth floor unit by police. “And I said that sounded like shooting — a couple of minutes after all the police officers arrived.”

She said she looked in the hallway and the officers “yelled at me and told me to get inside.”