A Georgetown University student from Miami-Dade County died Tuesday from meningitis, the university said in a statement.
Andrea Jaime, 19, was starting her sophomore year at Georgetown’s school of nursing and health studies. She was a graduate of Coral Gables Senior High School. Jaime died at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital.
“Andrea died from apparent meningitis. We are awaiting test results to confirm the exact cause.” said Todd A. Olson, the university’s vice president for student affairs, in a letter addressed to all students. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Andrea’s family, friends and everyone in our Georgetown family during this difficult time.”
The university, in Washington, D.C., held a memorial service Wednesday evening.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the infection is caused by inflammation of protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord, known as the meninges.
Most people who get bacterial meningitis recover. The disease is transmitted through close contact, primarily exchanging saliva from sharing drinks or cigarettes, or living in the same household.
The disease can progress rapidly and cause severe complications, like brain damage, hearing loss or learning disabilities.