A generator running heavy equipment on the balcony of a Brickell City Centre high-rise burst into flames Wednesday afternoon, but quick thinking employees were able to douse the fire with extinguishers before rescue crews arrived, according to Miami Fire Rescue.
A call came into Miami Fire Rescue about 3 p.m. reporting the fire in a 40-story tower in the complex that occupies the Swire Hotel at Southwest Eighth Street and Miami Avenue, Capt. Ignatius Carroll said.
Hotel employees told crews that workers were using the generator to fix windows on the balcony of an unoccupied unit on the eighth floor. After the fire broke out, staff used about five extinguishers to quell the flames.
“We commend the staff of the Swire Hotel for preventing the flames from spreading inside,” Carroll said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
No one was injured in the blaze and the damage was contained to the balconies of the eighth and ninth floors.