Two families will have to find a place to live after a fire early Thursday heavily damaged their duplex.
The fire broke out around 4 a.m. at 2620 NW 12th Ave. A man said he was in bed trying to light a cigarette when the lighter blew up. He said a curtain then caught fire. The man said he and another resident tried to put out the fire by throwing water on it, but it spread quickly.
They ended up grabbing the kids who lived in the unit and escaping.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
The Red Cross was called in to assist the two families — a total of 13 people — find a temporary place to stay.