A small sailboat anchored out in Biscayne Bay near Dinner Key Marina was engulfed in flames after a cooking accident on Tuesday afternoon.
Two men were using an external cooktop around 3:30 p.m. on the 17-foot boat name “The Master Chief,” when they fell asleep. They woke up to the smell of smoke as the boat burned, said Ignatius Carroll from Miami Fire Rescue.
“The two men jumped up right before the boat was completely swallowed by the flames. Then they swam to another boat,” said Carroll. “They are definitely lucky.”
Fire rescue arrived at the marina to evaluate them, but they were not injured. It was ruled as an accidental fire.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.