Miami-Dade County

Miami politicos react to Carollo legal loss: ‘Miscarriage of justice’ to grounds for removal

A civil court jury on Thursday slammed Miami Commissioner Joe Carollo with a major legal loss, awarding $63.5 million to two Little Havana business owners who had sued him, accusing him of targeting their business in a campaign of political retaliation.
A civil court jury on Thursday slammed Miami Commissioner Joe Carollo with a major legal loss, awarding $63.5 million to two Little Havana business owners who had sued him, accusing him of targeting their business in a campaign of political retaliation. mocner@miamiherald.com

The city of Miami’s political leaders had a range of reactions to Commissioner Joe Carollo’s major legal loss in a federal court Thursday after a jury decided Carollo pushed police and code enforcement to target the properties of two Little Havana businessmen.

One blasted the decision by calling it a “miscarriage of justice.” Another expressed concern over who would be responsible for the $63.5 million the jury awarded to William “Bill” Fuller and Martin Pinilla, the businessmen who accused Carollo of violating their First Amendment rights. And a former commissioner called for Carollo’s removal.

Read More: Big, expensive legal loss for Joe Carollo. Jury awards Miami businessmen $63.5 million

Miami Commissioner Manolo Reyes

Hours after the verdict was announced, Reyes told the Miami Herald he had not been briefed by City Attorney Victoria Méndez about who might be responsible for paying the $63.5 million.

“I’m worried,” Reyes said. “What I can tell you is I am waiting for the city attorney to tell me what happens next and who will pay.”

The city has already spent almost $2 million on Carollo’s legal defense before the trial began, with taxpayers footing the bill. It’s unclear if the city might move to pay any of the money Carollo now owed after the verdict.

“It worries me because it’s a large amount of money,” Reyes said. “It would definitely affect the city’s financial health.”

Commissioner Alex Díaz de la Portilla

In a brief text message, Díaz de la Portilla blasted the verdict, referencing Carollo’s immediate decision to appeal.

“A miscarriage of justice that the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals will without a doubt correct.”

Commissioner Sabina Covo

In a statement, Covo said she looks forward to meeting with Méndez and City Manager Art Noriega to discuss any impacts to taxpayers.

“Upholding the public’s trust is paramount, and today’s verdict by a jury raises many questions,” she said. “The judicial process has rightfully done the important work, and it’s incumbent on the city to ensure we restore full confidence of residents that their City Hall is always putting them first.”

Commission Chairwoman Christine King

King, who holds the gavel during City Commission meetings and controls the flow of legislation on the dais, did not immediately respond to the Herald’s request for comment Thursday. Carollo is her vice chairman, meaning he runs commission meetings when King is not present.

Former commissioner Ken Russell

A frequent City Hall sparring partner with Carollo, former commissioner Ken Russell posted a video on TikTok calling for Carollo to be removed from office.

“Based on the findings of this jury and this federal court, the State Attorney of Miami-Dade County should absolutely remove Joe Carollo from office,” Russell said. “And the city of Miami taxpayers should not be paying for his legal bills nor any of the damages.”

@kenforflorida #governmentaccountability @Miami Herald @WPLG Local 10 News @UnderTheDeskNews @GlennaWPLG @npr @CBS4 @ONLY in DADE ♬ original sound - Ken Russell

This story was originally published June 1, 2023 at 6:07 PM.

Joey Flechas
Miami Herald
Joey Flechas is an associate editor and enterprise reporter for the Herald. He previously covered government and public affairs in the city of Miami. He was part of the team that won the 2022 Pulitzer Prize for reporting on the collapse of a residential condo building in Surfside, FL. He won a Sunshine State award for revealing a Miami Beach political candidate’s ties to an illegal campaign donation. He graduated from the University of Florida. He joined the Herald in 2013.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER