Imagine you’re out for the evening and your neighbor calls to tell you your home is on fire.
What do you do?
For one Southwest Miami-Dade family, all they could do was watch the flames on their cellphone via a live feed from surveillance cameras.
Their dog was in the home.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
At 7:20 p.m. Thursday, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue responded to reports of a house fire in the 15700 block of Southwest 139th Avenue. When crews arrived, they found an RV next to a home in flames.
Then a propane tank exploded, “shooting debris and shattering windows,” Miami-Dade Fire said in a statement. “Luckily no one was injured in the explosion.”
Smoke started to fill the home and the edge of the roof was in flames as crews broke through the front door and put out the fire.
WSVN 7 interviewed the Garcia family after firefighters put out the blaze.
“When we found out that the fire was going on, it was pretty scary. We all felt helpless, knowing we couldn’t do anything,” homeowner Saidy Garcia told the news station. “We were pretty much waiting for the firefighters to get here, you know? We were just hoping for the best.”
According to WSVN, the Garcias were at a dance recital for their daughter, Sophia.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue was able to rescue the family dog, a Chihuahua named Luna.
The fire is under investigation.