Miami-Dade County

Two New York murder suspects lead cops on rush-hour chase from South Beach to Allapattah

Krishon Hedge and Brandon Lee in their Miami-Dade Corrections mugshots after Monday’s chase.
Krishon Hedge and Brandon Lee in their Miami-Dade Corrections mugshots after Monday’s chase.

Two men wanted for murder in New York led police on a chase through South Beach and across State Road 836 before being taken into custody during Monday afternoon’s rush hour, Miami-Dade police said.

The men were identified as Krishon Hedge and Brandon Lee by the U.S. Marshal Service, according to Miami Herald news partner CBS4.

In addition to the many charges from the chase, Hedge faces two counts of attempted murder and one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Lee was just wanted on the out of state warrant.

Manny Puri from the Marshal Service told CBS4 that both were “high-level gang members” and wanted for murder earlier this month in Queens, New York.

Detectives from the department’s homicide task forces spotted the men in a white sedan on Interstate 95 near Northwest 62nd Street around 5 p.m.

The driver of the white sedan, Hedge according to the charges, continued to South Beach with the detectives following behind. Miami-Dade’s helicopter kept track of the vehicle from the air.

Miami Beach police assisted when the chase made it over the causeway, said Argemis Colome, a spokesman for Miami-Dade.

Even when the chase was streaking up Alton Road in South Beach, the Miami-Dade Police Department was the agency in pursuit. Hedge headed up Alton, then swung onto the MacArthur Causeway, heading back toward Miami. Of course, this led to State Road 836 westbound and that’s when rush hour traffic began to work for police.

Traffic forced Hedge off the Dolphin Expressway at the first Northwest 27th Avenue exit to northbound 27th Avenue. Just over the Miami River drawbridge, before the Northwest 20th Street corner, Hedge and Lee got gummed up in more traffic from which they couldn’t extricate themselves.

No crashes or injuries were reported, Colome said.