A malfunctioning air-conditioning unit on a bus caught fire Friday afternoon, sending passengers scrambling onto I-95.
The bus driver told Miami Fire Rescue he was taking his passengers from Miami International Airport to PortMiami around 1:30 p.m. when some complained they were hot. He switched on the air conditioning but quickly turned it off when his passengers said they smelled smoke.
Even after it was off, bus passengers still smelled smoke, so the bus driver pulled over. The entire bus was evacuated onto the side of southbound I-95, near the 62nd Street on ramp, and the driver tried to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher.
By the time firefighters got there, they found the privately owned bus filled with black smoke and flames throughout the cabin. They extinguished the fire and treated two passengers — one for smoke inhalation and the other for scratches from the bus evacuation.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
Another bus took the passengers to the port.