Miami-Dade County

Someone tried to deep-fry a turkey indoors and their apartment building was evacuated

Turkey 101: How to cook a turkey

Mary Pitman, of Pitman Family Farms and Mary's Turkeys, shares her top tips of how to cook a turkey at Whole Foods on Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2016, in Fresno.
Up Next
Mary Pitman, of Pitman Family Farms and Mary's Turkeys, shares her top tips of how to cook a turkey at Whole Foods on Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2016, in Fresno.

A deep-fried turkey led to a chaotic Thanksgiving morning for one Kendall apartment building that sent four people to the hospital.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Spokeswoman Erika Benitez said one of the families in the building, 15221 SW 80th St, started deep-frying their turkey on Wednesday night inside the apartment and woke up feeling ill on Thursday. Fire rescue workers evacuated the building after they detected high levels of carbon monoxide.

Four people were hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning and three others were treated at the apartment, Benitez said. Rescue workers gave the all clear by 10 a.m. Thursday.

“Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by the day before Thanksgiving and Christmas Day and Christmas Eve,” Benitez said. “Unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in cooking fires and fire deaths.”

  Comments