Miami-Dade County

One dorm gutted, another damaged after fire sweeps through dorms at Barry University

MIAMI HERALD STAFF

A fire Tuesday morning at a Barry University residence hall left one dorm room gutted and another with heavy smoke damage, according to college officials and Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue got the call at 9:30 a.m. about a fire on the second floor of Browne Hall, on Northeast 113th Street and Second Avenue in Miami Shores.

“It was a working fire with smoke and flames,” said Michelle Fayed, spokeswoman for the fire department. “Crews quickly put out the fire to minimize the damage.”

Fayed said an investigator was at the dorms Tuesday afternoon trying to determine where the fire started and what caused it.

Jeff, LaLiberte, a spokesman for the university, said most of the students were in class at the time of the fire. Those who were in the building were evacuated and no injuries were reported.

He said the fire began in Room 34. Those students will be assigned a new dorm.

According to the Barry website, Browne Hall houses male and female students in double suites with a shared bathroom in between. LaLiberte said that building houses about 70 students.

“We are very grateful for Miami-Dade Fire’s quick response and are very happy no one was injured,” he said.

  Comments