An early morning fire in an apartment brought out more than 30 Miami firefighters to keep the flames from spreading in the five-story building.
The fire broke out in a second-floor corner apartment around 5 a.m. Wednesday at 2150 NW Ninth St. Firefighters contained the blaze. One person was taken to the hospital, and several others were treated outside the building.
“The amount of smoke that was generated made it very difficult for a lot of people to actually get out of their units so that was the challenge that a lot of firefighters had to deal with, with taking multiple people off of several balconies to get them to safety,” said Miami Fire Rescue spokesman Capt. Ignatius Carroll.
Juan Pedro Abascal, who lives alone in the apartment, told CBS4 that the fire might have started in electrical connections in his bedroom.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“When I entered the room there was a fire in my bed. I went to the hallway to get the extinguisher,” said Abascal, who was treated for smoke inhalation. “When I entered the room again to put the fire out I just couldn’t because of the smoke, the black smoke, it was so dense, that I started feeling very bad.”