Florida Keys

8-year-old Key West girl found safe after being taken by non-custodial father, cops say

Akeem Harris and Aiyona Miller were last seen May 3, 2020.
Akeem Harris and Aiyona Miller were last seen May 3, 2020. Key West police

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement issued a missing child alert Tuesday evening for an 8-year-old Key West girl who had not been seen since Sunday.

Shortly after 10 p.m., about two hours after the alert, the girl had been found safe in Miami-Dade, Key West police said.

Aiyona Miller, who was wearing a pink T-shirt, pink and blue Nike shorts and pink flip flops when she disappeared from the Porter Place apartment complex, was taken by her father, 34-year-old Akeem Harris, police said.

Harris lost custody of Aiyona in 2014 and has a no-contact order, according to Key West police. According to Florida Department of Corrections records, Harris was released from prison in 2019 after serving five years for aggravated assault.

“He does not have a good reputation,” said Key West spokeswoman Alyson Crean.

Police say Harris was involved in a “domestic incident” with his girlfriend — who is not the mother of Aiyona — in the 300 block of White Street. He then took off and picked up his daughter.

Police did not say whether they found Harris, nor did they give any details on where the pair had been.

This story was originally published May 5, 2020 at 10:10 PM.

Carli Teproff
Miami Herald
Carli Teproff grew up in Northeast Miami-Dade and graduated from Florida International University in 2003. She became a full-time reporter for the Miami Herald in 2005 and now covers breaking news.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER