Florida Keys

Key West boy shot by pellet gun dies six days later

Following news of Jonathan Wells’ death, friends left this tribute at a Key West baseball complex.
Following news of Jonathan Wells’ death, friends left this tribute at a Key West baseball complex. KEY WEST LITTLE CONCH BASEBALL

Jonathan Wells, a Horace O'Bryant Middle School eighth-grader, died Thursday, six days after getting shot in the chest with a pellet gun.

It's still not clear who was holding the gun when it went off in an apartment on Venetian Drive in Key West April 10.

"The investigation is still open. It's still too early to let anything more out," police spokeswoman Alyson Crean said.

Police responded to the apartment around 6:36 p.m. and found Wells, 14, not breathing and with vomit next to his head. Officer Kathryn Hansell wrote in a report that she ran up the stairs after she asked two other juvenile boys in the apartment where Wells was.

According to the heavily redacted report, the one adult interviewed by police, who was in the apartment along with three other juveniles, said his son was playing with the pellet gun, a black Ruger Talon with a sight, when it went off.

Wells had been in "stable but critical" condition earlier in the week, according to Crean. After he was shot, he was taken to Lower Keys Medical Center before being airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center in Miami, where he succumbed.

Wells played in the Key West Little Conch Baseball league. On the group's Facebook page, the league offered its condolences after he was shot.

"KWLC Baseball sends prayers and well wishes to one of our own, Jonathan Wells," the post last Sunday said. The league cancelled games Monday and Tuesday out of respect to the Wells family.

U.S. Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-Miami), whose district includes the Florida Keys, offered his support Friday via Twitter.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Jonathan Wells from Horace O'Bryant Middle School. #WeAreKeyWest #JWellsStrong," Curbelo tweeted.

According to Monroe County School District Superintendent Mark Porter, the district is awaiting information from the Wells family about funeral arrangements.