Broward County

Batteries go flying when Hoverboard explodes inside home

A Dania Beach home caught on fire Wednesday afternoon when a Hoverboard exploded, according to the Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue.
A Dania Beach home caught on fire Wednesday afternoon when a Hoverboard exploded, according to the Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue.

A Hoverboard exploded inside a Dania Beach home Wednesday afternoon causing significant damage, according to the Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue.

Batteries from the self-balancing scooter flew from the device from one bedroom, where it was charging, to another.

The explosion happened before 3 p.m. at the home on the 800 block of Argonaut Isle.

Lawrence Gaalswyk told Miami Herald news partner CBS4 that a noise coming from one of his children’s bedrooms startled him.

“I heard a pop and bang,” he told the station. “I was working right there in my office. I thought it was somebody at the door. I came and saw an orange glow on the wall and I saw chunks of burning plastic and parts flying across the floor.”

No one was injured in the fire.

Carli Teproff: 305-376-3587, @CTeproff

  Comments