Broward County

BSO bailiff charged with sexual battery, attempted murder


Kendrick Busby
Kendrick Busby

A veteran Broward Sheriff’s bailiff has been suspended without pay after he was arrested for allegedly stabbing a prostitute in Miami-Dade.

BSO spokeswoman Veda Coleman-Wright said Kendrick Busby, who was hired by BSO in November of 2007, was suspended without pay following the charges against him.

According to a Miami-Dade police arrest report, Busby picked up the woman around 1 a.m. Feb. 21 at a gas station at 1300 NW 79th St. The woman reportedly agreed to perform oral sex on him for $60.

Busby, 45, then drove to Northwest 81st Street and Northwest 11th Avenue. When the woman said she wanted the money up- front, Busby reached as if he was going for his wallet but instead pulled a knife, according to the arrest report.

He then reportedly demanded that she perform oral sex on him without a condom. When she refused, he allegedly pressed the knife to her neck.

When she went to push the knife away with her hand, Busby told her “get your hand off my knife. The defendant then removed the knife from the victim’s neck and began to stab her in the back,” according to the report.

When the woman saw headlights in the distance she struggled to get out Busby’s SUV as he allegedly continued to stab her in the abdomen, an officer wrote in his report.

She finally made it out and he drove off, but not before she noted that the numbers 0-6-7 were the first three letters on his license plate.

She then limped back to her car at the gas station and drove herself to Northshore Hospital. Due to the extent of her injuries, she was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital.

There she gave police a statement including a description of Busby’s vehicle and license plate. A check found that there was only one vehicle that matched the description and it was registered to Busby.

She spent a week at the hospital and when she was released, she identified Busby as her attacker in a photo lineup, police said.

On March 14, Busby went to the police with his lawyer and turned himself in.

Busby was charged with sexual battery and second-degree attempted murder.