Broward County

Family of Broward woman who went missing in Spain files wrongful death lawsuit: lawyer

Ana María Knezevich Henao
Ana María Knezevich Henao CBS News Miami

The family of a Fort Lauderdale woman who disappeared in Spain just over a year ago announced on Saturday that they filed a wrongful death lawsuit in Miami-Dade County. The lawsuit names her estranged husband, David Knezevich—who is accused of kidnapping and killing her—along with his brother and “others,” according to the family’s attorney.

The lawsuit comes after federal prosecutors announced last month they would not be seeking the death penalty against David Knezevich in his criminal case.

READ MORE: Feds drop potential death penalty against Broward man accused of killing wife in Spain

If convicted at his mid-June trial, Ana Maria Knezevich Henao’s husband, who was arrested last May at Miami International Airport, could face a life sentence for allegedly kidnapping and killing her last February. Her body has not been found, making the international murder case especially challenging for FBI agents and prosecutors, who have built their case largely on circumstantial evidence.

Knezevich Henao’s family attorney said this new civil lawsuit includes claims for wrongful death, fraudulent transfers, interfering with the family’s rights to Knezevich Henao’s body and intentionally causing emotional distress.

Family attorney Adam Ingber also claims Knezevich’s family unlawfully received Knezevich Henao’s money and helped destroy evidence of her murder.

”We charged aiding and abetting against the non-lawyer defendants for their roles in continuing the conspiracy after they discovered that they were part of a murder plot,” Ingber said in a statement.

The lawsuit also names several attorneys and law firms, but none of those claims have been released. The claims are to remain under seal until a “hearing on probable cause,” Ingber said.

David Knezevich
David Knezevich Lauren Astigarraga USAFLS

Knezevich Henao’s family attorney also announced their plans to go after anyone for their alleged role in her disappearance and death.

“We responded to the unsealed FBI information by suing the murderer’s brother for aiding and abetting, and we are initiating legal proceedings in Serbia against his mother and cousin for helping to destroy evidence and for receiving Ana’s money,” Ingber said.

“I will track anyone who had a hand in this, to the ends of the earth,” Ingber said.

Petition also filed in Broward County over estate

Tech entrepreneur Knezevich and his Colombian-born wife built a portfolio worth millions in Broward County residential real estate throughout their 13-year marriage.

Their bitter dispute over these—and other—assets escalated when she left for Spain in late December 2023.

Prosecutors noted that before her disappearance, Knezevich told the court’s probation office his net worth was roughly $2.5 million, following the sale of seven residential properties in Broward County for about $6.7 million between December 2023 and February 2024.

READ MORE: Feds charge Fort Lauderdale man with killing and kidnapping his wife in Madrid

In Broward County, Knezevich Henao’s family has filed several petitions: one for the administration of her estate, another for a determination of her death, and a third to invoke Florida’s Slayer Statute, which bars those responsible for a person’s death from inheriting their assets.

Knezevich is accused of leaving Miami in late January 2024 for Serbia, where prosecutors say he rented a car to pursue his wife in Spain.

David Knezevich was spotted purchasing materials that may have been used in his wife’s kidnapping, according to the FBI.
David Knezevich was spotted purchasing materials that may have been used in his wife’s kidnapping, according to the FBI. Southern District of Florida

The FBI claims that security camera footage from her Madrid apartment shows him leaving the building by elevator, and they believe he carried her body in a suitcase. However, authorities found no evidence of blood traces or a struggle in Knezevich Henao’s Madrid apartment.

In August, a GPS alert on his rented Peugeot 308 led Spanish and Italian authorities to search the woods north of Vicenza, Italy, where he allegedly took a detour on his way back to Serbia. Despite these efforts, her body has never been found.

Brother stopped at airport

On Jan. 7 Customs officials detained Knezevich’s brother and his family at Miami International Airport after their return from a trip to Portugal and Spain.

Although officials claimed they were looking for an item—a supposed “ham”—defense lawyers argue that the real motive was to create a pretext for seizing his laptop and cellphone.

Knezevich’s attorneys asked U.S. District Judge Kathleen Williams to postpone further searches of his brother’s electronic devices until the seizure’s basis is reviewed, a request that federal prosecutors oppose by insisting the actions were lawful.

Judge Williams denied the defense’s request to stop the seizure of the brother’s cellphone, instead requiring prosecutors to use a filter team to shield confidential attorney-client information and justify keeping the search warrant sealed from the defense.

MM
Milena Malaver
Miami Herald
Milena Malaver covers crime and breaking news for the Miami Herald. She was born and raised in Miami-Dade and is a graduate of Florida International University. She joined the Herald shortly after graduating.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER