A Fort Lauderdale high-rise apartment building had to be evacuated Thursday after a couple and their dog were found dead in a 15th floor unit, likely killed by carbon monoxide.
According to Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue, crews were responding to reports of a suicide at Sunrise Harbor, 1010 Seminole Dr. When they arrived, crews were told there was a note tacked to the door warning people there was carbon monoxide inside.
Deputy Chief Timothy Heiser said while carbon monoxide is suspected, the incident is under investigation by Fort Lauderdale police and the Fire Marshal’s office.
Firefighters entered the apartment in full bunker gear and found the couple and their dog. They evacuated the building because carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, Heiser said.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The gas spread to other floors in low concentrations and five victims were treated on scene with minor symptoms. People reentered about 90 minutes later.
Fort Lauderdale police did not confirm whether the couple was killed by carbon monoxide or whether it was suicide.