Broward County

Heater causes Sunrise home to catch fire; family displaced

A family in Sunrise has been displaced after mechanical problems with the central heater caused their home to catch fire Thursday morning.

The home, in in the 12000 block of Northwest 13th Street in Sunrise, went up in flames.

The homeowner told CBS4 that he had turned the heater on last night, but turned it off because it smelled funny.

On Thursday morning, the homeowner turned on the heat again before leaving the house to drop a grandson off at school. While he was away, he got a call that his house was on fire.

His wife, daughter, son-in-law and two grandchildren were in the home when the fire started. All were able to get out safely.

The fire was extinguished in about 15 minutes.

The family moved into the home less than a year ago.

The Red Cross tweeted Thursday morning that they were responding to the home fire.

  Comments