The Federal Emergency Management Agency is looking to hire in South Florida and Puerto Rico, following Hurricane Irma.
With 85 percent of FEMA's workforce responding to disasters, including areas affected by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Maria and Nate, the agency is looking to hire for temporary jobs immediately, according to FEMA. FEMA did not immediately say how many positions in each area will be available.
This year, with almost two months left in the season, has been one of the most active hurricanes seasons for the agency in years, with four hurricanes making landfall in the mainland U.S., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Tropical Storm Ophelia formed Monday morning but is forecasted to pose no threat to land.
For most temporary local hires, the application process will be streamlined, according to FEMA. Jobs are for 120 days, unless extended, and workers are not eligible for tenure. For those interested in becoming On-Call Response/Recovery Employees, positions are two to four years and eligible for the same benefits as full-time jobs but not tenure.
For some positions, applicants must speak both English and Spanish.
How to Apply:
Cadre of On-Call Response/Recovery Employees
▪ Apply through FEMA on USAJobs.gov
Temporary Local Hires
▪ Puerto Rico: Those who wish to apply should email their resume to email@example.com and include the words “Puerto Rico” in the subject line. For those applicants without internet access, they should submit resumes in a sealed envelope at any post office in Puerto Rico marked “FEMA Jobs.” The U.S. Post Service will deliver resumes to the FEMA recovery team in Puerto Rico.
▪ Texas: Register at WorkinTexas.com, the Texas Workforce Commission’s website, where application instructions are posted. In partnership with the Texas Workforce Commission, the National Labor Exchange identifies positions here to assist Texan employers with recruitment needs related to Hurricane Harvey.
Temporary Positions Available
▪ Applicant Services Specialist
▪ Administrative Support Assistant
▪ Civil engineer
▪ Construction Cost Estimator
▪ Crisis Counselor
▪ Customer Service Specialist
▪ Digital Communications Specialist
▪ Emergency Management Specialist
▪ Environmental Specialist
▪ Equal Rights Advisor
▪ Floodplain Management Specialist
▪ Graphics Specialist
▪ Geospatial Information
▪ Systems Specialist
▪ Hazard Mitigation
▪ Outreach Specialist
▪ Historic Preservation Specialist
▪ Housing Coordinator and Reports Writer
▪ Insurance Specialist
▪ Intergovernmental Affairs
▪ Mass Care Specialist
▪ Media Relations Specialist
▪ Program Liaisons
▪ Resource Manager
▪ Registered Nurse
▪ Travel Specialist
▪ Voluntary Agency Liaison