Miami-Dade’s public hospital system will close the year ending Sept. 30 with a profit of about $65 million, exceeding budget forecasts and reflecting better-than-expected revenues from patient services and local sales and property taxes, Jackson Health System executives said Monday.
Mark Knight, chief financial officer for the $1.8 billion-a-year hospital system, attributed his projections to sustained improvement in the numbers of patient admissions, same-day surgeries and other services.
The hospital system’s dedicated public support also has beat projections, generating an estimated $377 million for the year in county sales taxes and general funds.
Jackson Health’s strategic plans call for growth in patient services, and one area where the hospital system plans to expand is West Miami-Dade.
Jackson Health CEO Carlos Migoya said the hospital system has filed its application with state healthcare regulators to demonstrate the need for a 100-bed hospital in Doral, where plans call for a medical campus with pediatric specialties, a free-standing emergency department and other services.
Dubbed “Jackson West,” the campus is planned for a 27-acre tract adjacent to the Palmetto Expressway at 7800 NW 29th Street in Doral. It is estimated to be completed by spring 2018.
The medical center will “relieve the healthcare desert that faces more than 500,000 people who live within five miles of this campus,” Migoya told members of the Public Health Trust that governs Jackson Health.
Also Monday, the board of trustees approved a bid waiver to hire Robins and Morton Corp., a construction company, to build more patient rooms and a new operating room at Jackson South Community Hospital in South Miami-Dade, which has experienced increasing numbers of patients in the past year.
The contract is estimated at $5.8 million, an amount that drew scrutiny from Darryl Sharpton, a Jackson trustee. Sharpton asked Knight why Jackson staff members were recommending approval for a contract that was nearly $2 million more than the lowest bid received earlier this year.
Knight said some of the low bidders were deemed “unresponsive” by the county and disqualified, and that additional work, including the new operating room, had been added to the project since the initial call for bidders.