San Juan airport runs on generators after quake, flights to South Florida continue
Flights to and from San Juan, Puerto Rico are operating as scheduled after a magnitude-6.4 earthquake struck the island Tuesday morning.
The Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport lost power in the quake and is running on back up generators.
“Scheduled flights will continue as previously scheduled,” said Jorge Hernández, head of the airport, in a statement on Twitter. “Because of the high traffic of passengers that we expect today given the high season and the holiday, we recommend that passengers arrive to the airport at least three hours before their flights.”
Flights between San Juan and South Florida airports Miami International and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International are running as scheduled. A spokesperson for American Airlines said that the airline does not anticipate any cancellations of its 13 flights operating Tuesday.
Puerto Rico media are reporting one person has been killed in the earthquake.