Luxe pool at Icon Brickell is shutting down for a year’s worth of repairs
After months of speculation, damage assessment and legal wrangling, the popular pool deck at the Icon Brickell condo complex is shutting down for at least a year’s worth of repairs.
Icon Brickell’s master association told unit owners in an email on Tuesday that the pool will close on Dec. 5.
The deck overlooks Biscayne Bay and boasts a football field-sized infinity pool, an 80-person hot tub and a life-sized chess set. The association previously told owners at the massive, 1,650-unit complex that repairs would cost roughly $14 million. They will include “replacement of the waterproofing, installing new drainage, replacing the tiles, replacing the landscaping, replacing lighting, converting the reflection pool to a kids' pool and the construction of stairs to the observation deck," according to an email obtained by the Miami Herald.
Real estate broker Michael Light first reported the closure date on his blog. He said unit values at Icon Brickell — which was developed by the Related Group, Miami’s biggest builder — will take a temporary hit because the pool is one of its best amenities.
The Herald broke the news that the pool deck needed a major overhaul in January, after word leaked out from worried residents. The associations have filed lawsuits against Icon Brickell’s general contractor, John Moriarty & Associates, and architects Arquitectonica, as well as more than 20 subcontractors. Those suits are still ongoing.
This story was originally published November 23, 2016 at 3:48 PM with the headline "Luxe pool at Icon Brickell is shutting down for a year’s worth of repairs."