Miami real estate super-broker Edie Laquer will get another shot at a long-running lawsuit alleging that Miami Worldcenter principal Art Falcone cut her out of a partnership on the massive, mixed-use project in downtown’s Park West district.
A state appeals court ruled Monday that an arbitrator in a separate lawsuit over a bank foreclosure on the Worldcenter property had overstepped his bounds when he made findings of fact on the original suit, which was filed in 2008. The arbitrator’s findings led a Miami-Dade circuit judge to throw out Laquer’s claims last fall, effectively ending her case.
The new ruling will allow Laquer, a prominent real estate broker who has filed several suits against developers in recent years, to seek a jury trial, her attorney Paul Morris said.
In court filings, Laquer said she invested $1.6 million and acquired a 10 percent stake in the project before Falcone booted her from the partnership in late 2007, charges which Falcone’s attorneys have previously denied.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
A spokesman for the Worldcenter declined to comment on the latest developments. The $1.2 billion project will create an upscale mall and luxury condo tower between historically black Overtown to the west and gentrifying Biscayne Boulevard to the east.
In the meantime, Laquer said she wants her day in court. “I look forward to pursuing what I created and what as a partner is rightfully mine,” she said.