Miami Soul – your ultimate source for places to go, people to see, and things to do in the Black social scene. Check out this week’s weekend guide from Miami Soul. For a list of weekly reoccurring events, check out miami.com/miami-soul.
He’s back! Charlie ‘Last Name’ Wilson is hitting the Jazz in the Gardens stage once again this year with his energetic, show stopping performance style that he’s come to be known for. The “Queen of Soul” Aretha Franklin cancelled all of her March performances in Florida, but Uncle Charlie has saved the day as the festival’s headliner. Not new to the Jazz in the Gardens stage having performed at the 2013 festival, Uncle Charlie keeps you off your feet, brings the funk, gives you your money’s worth, and proves that age is nothing but a number.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Saturday’s performance schedule features Charlie Wilson as the headliner as well as performances by Kool and The Gang, Michael McDonald, The Average White Band, CriStyle Renae, April Raquel and Kouture Band, The Jazz in the Gardens All-Stars featuring Regina Belle, Najee & Alex Bugnon,
On Sunday, Usher takes over as headliner with additional performances by on the Jazz in the Gardens stage includes performances by Usher, Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds, Janelle Monae, Brian Culbertson, and Fred Hammond along with local artists Ronnie VOP and LaVie. Returning to the stage as host is comedian and nationally-syndicated radio personality Rickey Smiley.
The entire weekend is a party and a celebration with two events in addition to the two-day festival:
Official Jazz in the Gardens Opening Night Party
Friday, March 18, Doors open at 5PM – Cafe Iguana, 8358 Pines Blvd, Pembroke Pines
Kick off your Jazz in the Gardens weekend with happy hour followed by the party all hosted by Rick Party of Hot 105. Tickets are $20 in advance and can be purchased at JazzintheGardens.com.
Women’s Impact Conference & Luncheon
Friday, March 18, 9am – 5:30pm – Turnberry Isle Miami Resort, 19999 W Country Club Dr, Aventura
The highly anticipated conference features 12 influential speakers who’ve created success for themselves through vision, faith, collaboration, sacrifice, and hard work. From the fierceness of Cynthia Bailey of the Real Housewives of Atlanta to the business hustle of Married to Medicine’s Lisa Nicole Cloud and Dr. Heavenly Kimes, the conference is guaranteed to be inspiring, empowering, and a great networking opportunity.
The entire lineup of speakers include:
- Dee Thompson: Host, Highly sought after Motivational/Inspirational Speaker, Trainer, and Transformational Life Coach, who is well-known for trademarked signature project entitled, “Purpose Never Dies.”
- Cynthia Bailey: Supermodel and BRAVO TV reality star from “Housewives of Atlanta.” He recently launched her new collection, Cynthia Bailey Eyewear.
- Lisa Nicole Cloud: Author, motivational speaker, sales trainer, CEO of Elite Marketing Strategies, Lisa Nicole Cloud Enterprises, fashion collection, The Lisa Nicole Collection, and BRAVO TV reality star from “Married to Medicine.”
- Dr. Traci Lynn: Founder of the multi- million dollar enterprise, Traci Lynn Fashion Jewelry and motivational speaker.
- Dr. “Vikki” Johnson: Soul-Wealth Coach & Healer, Best-‐Selling Author, Sisterhood Specialist, and Ordained Elder.
- Vicky Townsend: President and CEO of Inspiration University and founder of what was known as South Florida’s lite music and jazz station, Lite FM.
- Dr. Heavenly Kimes: Atlanta dentist, author, inspirational speaker, business powerhouse, relationship expert, and BRAVO TV reality star from “Married to Medicine”.
- Bern Nadette Stains: Best known as the quick witted, sexy savvy and the original “It” girl, Thelma Evans, from the groundbreaking, first African American sitcom, “Good Times.”
- Lucinda Cross: Best-selling author, internationally known speaker, spokesperson and energetic teacher of personal and professional development.
- Dr. Sonjia: Best-selling author of Sex in South Beach and is a certified sexologist.
- Angie Nicolas: Owner of the Hotspot 813 located in Tampa, FL, and fashion commentator on NBC News Channel 8 Daytime TV.
- Ray Crittenden: Former Wide Receiver for the New England Patriots and the San Diego Chargers.