Tickets are on sale now for Miami’s second Seed Food & Wine, a festival aimed at celebrating plant-based cuisines and lifestyles.
From Nov. 18 through 22, a range of events around South Florida includes a veggie “burger” battle, chef-driven dinners, sustainability talks, yoga brunch, kid activities, a street fair and more. Tickets start at $15 for individual events and rise to $400 for festival passes.
Seed is the creation of Alison Burgos and Michelle Gaber, Miami-based event promoters and entrepreneurs who turned to a vegan diet after doctors diagnosed Burgos with rheumatoid arthritis. She says she shed weight and stopped needing some of her prescribed medications, but most of all, she felt great and realized that being vegan didn’t mean having to subsist on lettuce the rest of her days.
They’ve expanded programming, talent and sponsorships (Whole Foods is the presenting sponsor) in the festival’s second year. A look at this year’s lineup:
Wednesday, Nov. 18
• A movie on the beach with organic wine and snacks. $25.
Thursday, Nov. 19
• Plant-based “burger” battle to include chefs from Jugofresh, Haven, Choices Cafe, Green Bar & Kitchen and more. $50.
Friday, Nov. 20
• All-day conference at the new 1 Hotel & Homes to discuss food waste, sustainability, GMOs and other current issues. Lunch included. $60.
• Chef Chad Sarno leads guests on a six-course wine dinner. $125.
• Chefs Matthew Kenney, Scott Winegard and Jonny Seningen prepare a five-course wine dinner. $125.
Saturday, Nov. 21
• 5K run through Wynwood led by Rich Roll, Frankie Ruiz, Ella Magers and John Lewis. Followed by yoga and early entrance to the festival. $60.
• The Seed Tasting Village includes a beer garden, live music, cooking demonstrations, yoga lounge, and food and drink samples from more than 80 restaurants and brands. $45.
• Made in Miami farm-to-table dinner at Tongue & Cheek in Miami Beach features vegan dishes from several South Florida chefs paired with MIA Brewing beers. $135.
Sunday, Nov. 22
• Yoga followed by a healthful brunch cooked by chefs Dewey LoSasso, Amber Antonelli, Julie Frans, Mark Reinfeld and others. $50.
• Sprout Kids Day gives children ages 3-10 an interactive learning experience in gardening, cooking veggie pizzas and decorating organic, vegan, gluten-free cupcakes. $15.