What is salmonella and how do you keep from getting it?
MONDAY NIGHT UPDATE: The retail list for the Caito Foods recalls was released Sunday. The retail list for the Envolve products was released Monday night, as was the list for the SK Foods Jenny Craig wraps.
Thursday and Friday’s six food product recalls over possible salmonella and listeria in ingredients at least came with a bonus — the revelation of the supplier behind this week’s recall blizzard.
When 245-store supermarket chain Hy-Vee recalled house-brand meat and chicken products, it named McCain Foods as the supplier. Canadian-based McCain, with its 11 offices spread across six continents, is a food industry giant few know about that dwarfs most of the companies everybody knows.
In a Friday e-mail to the Miami Herald, McCain stated it “recently identified a potential health risk related to its fire-roasted, caramelized or sautéed frozen vegetable and fruit products produced at its Colton, California facility. As a result, we have made the decision to voluntarily recall all products produced at this facility.”
The health risks were potential listeria or salmonella bacteria in the food. Once McCain made its voluntary, precautionary recall of those ingredients, none of its customers was going to leave itself exposed in civil court or the court of public perception.
And, so came the Tuesday and Wednesday recalls of products made for Trader Joe’s, 7-Eleven and Whole Foods’ 365 by Whole Foods brands, among others.
Here’s what’s been recalled Thursday and Friday:
▪ Hy-Vee recalled Bacon Wrapped Cowgirl Chicken Grillers; Fire-Roasted Tomato, Spinach, Mozzarella Twice-Baked Potato; Cowgirl Chicken Griller Patty; Gourmet Steakhouse Mushroom & Swiss Burger; and Ground Beef Sliders Mushroom & Swiss. Their best-by dates are Oct. 22, 2018 or sooner. These went to Hy-Vee’s 245 stores in eight Midwestern states.
The caramelized mushrooms and fire-roasted tomatoes from McCain caused these recalls. Consumers with questions can call 800-772-4098.
▪ Caito Foods recalled good & deLISH Sante Fe Style salad with Chicken, best-by dates 10/13/18 through 10/21/18; Santa Fe Style Salad with Chicken, with best-by dates 10/13/18 through 10/21/18; 8.75-ounces and 11.25-ounce clamshells of Fresh Garden Highway Salads Santa Fe Style Salad with Chicken, with best-by dates 10/12/18 through 10/20/18; and good to go! Chipotle Chicken Bowl with sell-by dates of 10/11/18 through 10/19/18.
These salads had McCain corn. The first retail list, released Sunday night, taps Target stores in Illinois and Minnesota; Walgreens stores in Illinois; Family Fare stores in Michigan; Schnuck Markets in Missouri; 10 D & W stores in Michigan; five VG’s stores in Michigan; two Toms Food Center stores in Michigan; five independent stores in Michigan and two independents in Ohio.
Those with questions can call Caito at 844-467-7278.
▪ Ruiz Foods recalled three kinds of Go-Go Taquitos — Beef Taco & Cheese, Buffalo-Style Cooked Glazed Chicken and Chipotle Chicken Wrapped in a Battered Flour Tortilla — that were shipped to distributors around the nation. The 2,490,593 pounds contained diced onions from McCain.
Consumers with questions can call Ruiz Foods at 800-772-6474.
▪ Envolve Foods recalled 22-ounce bags of Kroger house brand simple truth Chicken Bibimbap with use-by/sell-by dates of 11/2/18 through 3/12/20; 22-ounce bags of simple truth Thai Style Green Curry with use-by/sell-by dates of 3/13/19 through 1/24/20; 22-ounce bags of simple truth, Chicken Tikka Masala with use-by/sell-by dates of 3/22/19 through 4/12/19; 10-pound cases of Cadence Gourmet, Steak Fajitas with expiration dates of 11/1/2018 through 01/18/19; 10-pound cases of Candence Gourmet Tuscan Tomato Basil Chicken & Sausage with expiration dates of 10/20/18 through 01/09/19; and 10-pound cases of Cadence Gourmet Rustic Toasted Tomato Basil Chicken & Vegetables with expiration dates of 2/05/19 through 10/12/19.
The retail list includes Kroger’s in Texas, Kentucky, Indiana, South Carolina, Illinois, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia. Smith’s stores in Nevada, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, West Virginia, Bullhead City, Fort Mohave, Kingman and Lake Havasu City in Arizona; Burley, Chubbuck, Idaho Fallas and Twin Falls in Idaho.
Ralph’s stores in California; Owens, Jay C and Payless Supermarkets in Indiana; Baker’s stores in Nebraska; Gerbes stores in Missouri; Dillons stores in Kansas; Fry’s stores in Arizona; Fred Meyer stores in Alaska, Oregon, Washington and Idaho; Ruler stores in Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee; Quality Food Centers in Washington and Portland; and City Market stores in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming;
The 292,764 pounds of ready-to-eat chicken and beef products had vegetables from McCain. Consumers with questions can call 877-244-0947.
▪ Buddy’s Kitchen recalled 7.95-pound bulk cases, 16 pieces of Provolone and Roasted Peppers Omelet with Sicilian Potatoes & Italian Chicken Sausage (Bulk Pack) with lot codes 01/02/18, 01/15/18 and 05/09/18, and case code 70578; 11.02-pound bulk cases containing 24 pieces of Chicken Chorizo & Montamore Scramble with lot codes 04/30/18 and 07/09/18, and case code 70658; 9.52-pound bulk cases containing 24 pieces of Chicken Chorizo & Montamore Scramble, with lot codes 10/30/17, 11/04/17, 12/05/17, 12/19/17, 01/16/18, 02/22/18 and 04/24/18, and case code 70630.
Also recalled were 9.75-pound bulk cases containing 24 pieces of Pancetta Style Crumble & Smoked Fontina Scramble with lot codes 10/19/17, 10/31/17, 11/20/17, 12/04/17, 01/03/18, 01/10/18, 02/12/18, 02/27/18, 03/30/18, 04/09/18, 05/07/18, 05/29/18, 06/13/18, 07/09/18, 08/06/18 and 09/07/18, and case code 70620; 11.93-pound bulk cases containing 24 pieces of Provolone and Roasted Peppers Omelet with Sicilian Potatoes & Italian Chicken Sausage (Pop-Put) with lot codes 01/02/18, 01/05/18, 01/15/18, 01/25/18, 04/30/18, 05/08/18, 05/09/18, 05/16/18, 05/17/18, 05/24/18, 05/31/18, 07/24/18, 08/01/18, 08/06/18, 08/27/18, 09/05/18, 09/18/18 and 10/09/18, and case code 70577.
These cases went to institutional locations in Arizona, California, Georgia, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri and New Jersey. Those with questions can call Buddy’s Kitchen CEO Dave Smith at 952-894-2540.
▪ SK Food Group recalled 32 lots -- or 174,207 pounds -- of Jenny Craig Chicken Wrap. Recalled lot Nos. are WO0096753S10, WO0097880S10, WO0098216S10, WO0098565S10, WO0098923S10, WO0100691S10, WO0100692S10, WO0101746S10, WO0101861S10, WO0102176S10, WO0102469S10, WO0102758S10, WO0103920S10, WO0104247S10, WO0104353S10, WO0104615S10, WO0104995S10, WO0106312, WO0106312S10, WO0106945S10, WO0107556S10, WO0108694S10, WO0108695S10, WO0096753S02, WO0097880S02, WO0098216S02, WO00982416S02, WO0098565S02, WO0098923S02, WO0100691S02, WO0100692S02 and WO0101746S02.
These were sold directly through catalog sales to buyers in Florida, North Carolina, California, Texas, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Oregon and Pennsylvania. Jenny Craig stores sold them in Arizona, Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiaana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
Customers with questions can call Steve Sposari, SK Food Group CEO, at 206-957-6225.