What is salmonella and how do you keep from getting it?
THURSDAY AFTERNOON UPDATE: The retail list has been updated several times since the Oct. 3 recall. Thursday’s update added all Fiesta Mart stores in Texas to the list below.
Several national chains, including Walmart/Sam’s Club, Winn-Dixie, Lucky and Sprouts are included on the list of retail stores that might have received some for the 6.9 million pounds of beef recalled on salmonella concerns late Oct. 3.
As with the retail list for the Cargill E. coli-linked beef recall, adjustments and additions have occurred since the list first appeared on Sunday.
The beef, recalled by JBS Tolleson after 57 salmonella cases tracked back to JBS Tolleson-made beef, should be gone from use, expired or in consumers’ freezers by now. All the Use By/Sell By dates were in August and September for the beef products manufactured from July 26 through Sept. 7.
(On Oct. 4 and 5, the USDA raised the poundages of the products recalled and, thus, the total tonnage from 6.5 million pounds to 6,937,195 pounds).
The Oct. 6 release of the list came with the usual caveats from the USDA’s Food Safety Inspection Service: FSIS just has “reason to believe” these stores got the product, but “this list may not include all retail locations that have received the recalled product or may include retail locations that did not actually receive the recalled product.”
Which is what happened with the aforementioned Cargill list in September. And this recall is 52 times larger than the Cargill recall.
▪ Acme Fresh Market: Stores in the Ohio cities of Akron, Canton, Falls, Green, Hudson, Kent and Parma.
▪ Brookshire Brothers: Stores in Louisiana and Texas.
▪ Carli C’s: Stores in North Carolina.
▪ Cooke’s Market: Dahlonega, Georgia, Elton, Georgia and the Tennessee cities of Cleveland, Georgetown, Ocoee and Tazwell.
▪ FoodMaxxx: Stores in California; Sparks, Nevada; Carson City, Nevada.
▪ Food 4 Less: Stores in California.
▪ Foods Co.: Stores in California.
▪ Fry’s: Stores in Arizona.
▪ Harvey’s: Stores in Florida and Georgia; and Ridgeland, South Carolina.
▪ Lucky: Stores in California; Boulder, Colorado; Longmont, Colorado; Wheatridge, Colorado; Florida cities Clermont, Coral Springs, , Gainesville, Hunters Creek, Naples, Neptune Beach, Oakland Park, Orlando, Panama City, Plantation, Sarasota, St. Petersburg, Tallahassee, West Melbourne, Winter Park; Savannnah, Georgia; Bloomington, Indiana; Iowa City, Iowa; Louisville; Ann Arbor, Michigan; Traverse City, Michigan; Rock Hill, Missouri; Springfield, Missouri; Columbia, Missouri; Missoula, Montana; Billings, Montana; Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio; and Jackson, Wyoming.
▪ Piggly Wiggly: Eastman, Georgia; Gordon, Georgia; and Jackson, Georgia.
▪ Ralph’s: Stores in California.
▪ Sam’s Club: Stores in Florida, California, Texas, Missouri, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming.
▪ Save Mart: Stores in California; Sparks, Nevada; Carson City, Nevada; Reno, Nevada.
▪ Smith’s: Stores in California and Utah. Also, Burley, Idaho; Chubbuck, Idaho; Idaho Falls, Idaho; Twin Falls, Idaho.
▪ Sprouts: Stores in California, Texas, Missouri, Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah and Washington. Also, Birmingham, Alabama; Hoover, Alabama; Madison, Alabama; Vestavia Hills, Alabama; Georgia cities Atlanta, Augusta, Cumming, Decatur, Duluth, Dunwoody, Johns Creek, Lawrenceville, Marietta, Peachtree City, Peachtree Corners, Rosewell, andy Springs, Smyrna, Tucker and Woodstock; Towson, Maryland; Charlotte; Durham, North Carolina; Fayetteville, North Carolina; Raleigh, North Carolina; Simpsonville, South Carolina; Tennessee cities of Nashville, Murfreesboro and Franklin.
▪ Walmart: Stores in Texas, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona.
▪ Winn-Dixie: Stores in Florida; Georgia; Dothan, Alabama; and Eufala, Alabama.