Listeria concerns at T. Marzetti Company have caused a recall of biscuit products from Florida to California, including several store brands.
Listeria causes listeriosis, which infects 1,600 people each year, 260 of which it kills, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Pregnant women, newborns, people over 65 and those with weakened immune systems are most vulnerable. Infections during pregnancy can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth and newborn infections. Fever, diarrhea, muscle aches, loss of balance and convulsions are also symptoms.
T. Marzetti sent a recall notice to PRNewswire.com announcing all Best By dates of 23 products distributed in Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia are recalled “because they may have been contaminated with listeria.”
▪ Southeastern Grocers’ (Winn-Dixie, BiLo, Harvey’s) SE Grocers Buttermilk Biscuits and Southern Style Biscuits.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
▪ Food Lion supermarket chain brand Homestyle Buttermilk Biscuits.
▪ Piggly Wiggly supermarket chain brand Buttermilk Biscuits and Homestyle Biscuits.
▪ Lowe’s Foods Buttermilk Biscuits and Southern Style Biscuits.
▪ Southern Home Old Fashioned Buttermilk Style Biscuits.
▪ Shur Fine Old Fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits and Old Fashioned Southern Style Biscuits.
▪ Valu Time Buttermilk Biscuits and Southern Style Biscuits.
▪ Food Club Buttermilk Biscuits and Southern Style Biscuits.
▪ Laura Lynn Buttermilk Biscuits; 20-count Buttermilk Biscuits; and Southern Style Biscuits.
▪ Southern Home Buttermilk Biscuits; 20-count Southern Style Biscuits; and Southern Style Biscuits.
▪ Marshall’s Old Fashioned Southern Style Biscuits (Food Safety News reports Marzetti’s yanked Marshall’s Old Fashioned Southern Style Biscuits in California, also).
▪ Premium Pick 5 Buttermilk Biscuits.
▪ Morning Fresh Farms Buttermilk Biscuits.
None of the products are ready-to-eat and proper baking can reduce, but not eliminate, the listeria risk. Consumers with questions can call T. Marzetti at 1-866-837-2758 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Eastern Time.