GKI Foods’ recall of dark chocolate over a labeling mistake that threatens people allergic to milk expanded to more U.S. stores and brands, and hopped to a nearby island nation.
Publix doesn’t have a store brand involved, but does sell Woodstock Dark Chocolate Almonds, which got recalled.
Aurora Products brands, sold nationwide in the United States and Bermuda, took this recall international, after it reached such disparate U.S. places as Bass Pro Shops and Universal Studios Park. Also, Aurora’s Private Label brands are re-labeled as store brands by 13 food markets. Other new locations for this recall include supermarket chains HyVee, H-E-B, Market District and Roundy’s.
The maker of dark chocolates sells under a plethora of brand names that didn’t list milk as an ingredient on dark chocolates. So, milk wasn’t listed among the ingredients when they were repackaged by retailers. To people with food allergies, ingredient list accuracy is paramount.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
As FDA recall notices regularly state, “People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to MILK allergens run the risk of serious or life threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.”
▪ Aurora Natural Dark Chocolate Almonds, Cherries, Cranberries, Coffee Beans, Turbinado Almonds with Sea Salt with Best By dates from 11/1/16 through 7/30/18. The same products with the same Best By dates are sold as the store brands, packaged or loose, by AG Supermarkets, Belmont Market, Boiceville Market, Decicco’s, Graul’s Market, Gourmet Garage, Harvest Co – Op Market, Hurley Ridge, Lees Supermarket, Morton Williams, Palmers Market, Walter Stewart and Windfall Market.
For questions on these products, call 800-898-1048 from 9 p.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
▪ Roundy’s, a supermarket chain in Wisconsin and Illinois, recalled Roundy’s Select Dark Chocolate Coffee Beans and Dark Chocolate Coconut.
▪ HyVee, a 240-store chain in Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin recalled it’s store brand dark chocolate covered strawberries, cherries, blueberries, banana chips and pineapple.
▪ H-E-B, a supermarket chain in 150 Texas towns, recalled its H-E-B Select Ingredients Dark Chocolate Almonds and H-E-B Dark Chocolate Almonds.
▪ Market District, a supermarket chain in Western Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana, recalled Almonds, Coffee Beans and Powerberry covered in dark chocolate.
Consumers with questions can call GKI Foods at 248-486-0055.