Research has shown that the most successful way to prevent drug overdose is to prevent drug use in the first place. Dr. Marino E. Carbonell is a private practitioner and certified addiction professional in Miami who has earned a reputation of excellence in his field with more than 25 years of experience as an addiction specialist. Here, Dr. Carbonell addresses some facts about addiction and recovery:
5 signs of addiction
- The person needs more and more of a substance to get the same effects. This builds tolerance to the drug and the cycle of addiction is born.
- A loss of interest in things they once liked to do.
- Hiding the drug use or the effect it is having on them from others.
- Sleeping too much or too little, compared to how they used to. Or eating a lot more or a lot less than before.
- The person looks different. They may have bloodshot eyes, bad breath, shakes or tremors, frequent bloody noses, or they may have gained or lost weight.
5 facts about addiction recovery
- Addiction is a treatable condition, even when someone feels only despair.
- No single treatment is appropriate for everyone. It should be customized to the patient.
- Recovery is typically a long-term process but with immediate benefits.
- Individuals or group counseling and other behavioral therapies are the most common substance-abuse treatments.
- Family therapy is generally advisable to restore healthy family dynamics and support for full recovery.
For more information about addiction and recovery, please visit www.marinocarbonell.com.