People

Dr. Dre: I’m a changed man

FILE - In this Nov. 5, 2014 file photo, Dr. Dre attends the WSJ. Magazine 2014 Innovator Awards at MoMA in New York. Dre has issued a statement to the New York Times apologizing to “the women I’ve hurt” without specifically acknowledging the reason for the apology. The 50-year-old music mogul says in comments published Friday, Aug. 21, 2015, on the New York Times website that he “deeply regret(s) what I did and know that it has forever impacted all of our lives.” (Photo by Andy Kropa/Invision/AP, File).
FILE - In this Nov. 5, 2014 file photo, Dr. Dre attends the WSJ. Magazine 2014 Innovator Awards at MoMA in New York. Dre has issued a statement to the New York Times apologizing to “the women I’ve hurt” without specifically acknowledging the reason for the apology. The 50-year-old music mogul says in comments published Friday, Aug. 21, 2015, on the New York Times website that he “deeply regret(s) what I did and know that it has forever impacted all of our lives.” (Photo by Andy Kropa/Invision/AP, File). Andy Kropa /Invision/AP

For Dr. Dre, the self-proclaimed “first billionaire in hip-hop,” the movie Straight Outta Compton was meant to be a victory lap. That biopic, about his hip-hop group, N.W.A., topped the box office last week with a $56.1 million opening and was praised for its raw and timely depiction of police harassment of black men. But critics have charged that the movie, which was co-produced by Dre, glosses over N.W.A.’s record of misogyny and ignores allegations, including criminal charges, that Dre physically abused women.

While he did not address each allegation individually, he said: “Twenty-five years ago I was a young man drinking too much and in over my head with no real structure in my life. However, none of this is an excuse for what I did. I’ve been married for 19 years and every day I’m working to be a better man for my family, seeking guidance along the way. I’m doing everything I can so I never resemble that man again.”

THAT’S BANANAS

Charges have been tossed in the case of a man accused of throwing a banana peel at Dave Chappelle during a performance in New Mexico. The Albuquerque Journal reported Friday that prosecutors dismissed misdemeanor battery and disturbing the peace charges against Christian Englander, 31, after Chappelle was unresponsive to requests for testimony.

The comedian had said the March incident in Santa Fe was a racist act. Englander, however, said he threw the banana peel because Chappelle was making jokes about his friend. Assistant District Attorney Anastasia Martin wrote in her notice of dismissal that a conviction was unlikely without Chappelle’s testimony.

BID DENIED

A court in Las Vegas denied a bid by one of B.B. King’s daughters to obtain the late blues icon’s medical records from an executor who she alleges mishandled her father’s treatment before he died. Probate Commissioner Wesley Yamashita told a lawyer for Patty King on Friday that she can subpoena the records, so he didn’t need to issue a court order. The lawyer for B.B. King’s estate told the judge that he thinks Patty King is fishing for evidence that the musician’s longtime business manager, LaVerne Toney, mistreated him before he died May 14. Toney, who’s executor of King’s estate, and attorney Brent Bryson deny Patty King’s allegations.

Bryson says B.B. King never wanted his medical records made public. Patty King says she’ll keep fighting to get the records.

WISHING WELL

John Cena had long ago turned “Never give up” from his wrestling catchphrase into a motto for sick children who have to fight daily more than the WWE superstar ever has inside the ring. On Monday, he will become the first celebrity to grant 500 wishes in Make-A-Wish Foundation history. “I just drop everything,” Cena said. “If I can offer a fantastic experience, I’ll be first in line to do my part.” Rocco Lanzer, an 8-year-old boy from NYC with leukemia, will get ringside seats for the weekly Raw television show, among other things. Cena feted Rocco with swag on Thursday’s Today show and attended a party to celebrate all the wishes Friday in New York.

HOME SEARCHED

Los Angeles police say a task force investigating Internet crimes against children served a search warrant at the home of Kiss rocker Gene Simmons, but neither Simmons nor anyone in his family is suspected in the case. Lt. John Jenal says the warrant was served Thursday at the Simmons home in Benedict Canyon near Beverly Hills. Jenal says the detectives involved want to emphasize that Simmons and his family were “extremely cooperative” and are not suspected of a crime.

  Comments